Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are…
Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect Tomorrow.
One day I shall dig my nails into the earth,
or bury my face in my pillow,
or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky
and want, more than all the world, your return.
- Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, July 27, 2013

This and That...July 27, 2013

Where to begin?  No clue.  I can't believe summer is almost over.  We've done a whole lot of nothing, but in a beautiful way.  We've been to the pool, though I'd like to have gone more.  Honestly there've been a lot of days it's been either too hot (98°+ for over a week) or too cool (73° highs) but that's okay too.  On the hot days we were really blessed to have our A/C running strong and on the cool days Jacob and Julianna have been giving the trampoline quite the workout.

Julianna learned to ride a bike this summer.  That feels like not so little of a miracle.  At 10 gaining on 11 I had just about started to give up hope of it ever happening.  I learned it's not something you can make someone do or even bribe them into.  Believe me, I tried.  Anyway, someone suggested the balance bike approach, and though we don't own a balance bike and I was definitely not investing any more money in her learning to ride, I showed her a great you tube video of it and encouraged her to give it a try.  Much to my surprise she did, and within a week she was riding.  Incredible.  Truly.  We even bought her a new bike to celebrate, although this is the new bike and in the picture it looks like it's still too small.  It's not.  She's happy as a lark and rides her bike every day, multiple times a day.  I am so thankful.  Truly.

Julianna went to Girl Scout's summer camp for the first time.  Honestly, it was a bit of a bummer and she came home thankful that it had only been a three day, two night program.  It was disorganized, not well run and the counselors were much less interested than they should have been.  Not good.  She had a fine time and it all worked out, but I'm not sure I'd want to send her again and I'm not sure she'll want to go again, so that's a bit of a bummer.

Jacob turned 13 and all I have is this really crappy iPhone pic.  Too busy living in the moment, so that's okay.  His biggest wish was to spend his birthday at my parents, so we did.  His birthday dinner request was fried ravioli and antipasta, with cupcakes topped with 7-minute frosting, coconut and dots.  Icing on the metaphorical cake, Matt and Lily went to my parents also, and I think it was a pretty successful birthday.  He got Skylanders for the Wii, his greatest wish, along with Smash Brothers Brawl which he had not previously been allowed to have since it was rated T, and some cash to spend amassing Skylanders.  Rebekah gave him her old iPod, which thrilled him to no end as it's capacity is 4x the one he owned.  Jason and Lori gave him a couple of PG-13 movies and movie candy to enjoy them with.  My parents gave him money to spend, always a hit.  He was very happy and is looking forward to doing something to celebrate with his friends when they return in the fall.

Well, out of inspiration, just a little glimpse at some of the things that have happened this summer.

All in all it's been a pretty good summer.  Unfortunately, there's been some really rotten stuff going on too, stuff I really can't get into but that has dominated a lot of my summer.  I've had to cancel a trip I was really looking forward to, some precious time Mark took off got infringed on, it's affected my time with the kids.  I'd love to go into more detail, but it's personal and not really the kind of thing to put out in cyberspace.  Suffice it to say the kids are wonderful, Mark and I are wonderful, it's nothing like that.  Hopefully it'll get figured out soon, if it hasn't already, it's truly a time will tell thing, and eventually it will be just a distant memory.  Hopefully.  If you're a praying person maybe you could pray for me, God knows what it is, and I'm praying that he'll see fit to lift this from me. 

Hope you're enjoying your summer.  I'm really hoping the next couple of weeks do not fly by and that we get to squeeze every bit of fun we can from them.  I'm hoping for more yummy meals, like the fish tacos we had tonight (delicious!!), and that, when the time comes, fall gets off on the right foot.

[I'm still missing Reader and having a hard time finding something that works as well for me.  Feedly's all right, but the mobile apps aren't terribly good and I'm wishing there was something better.  Sorry I'm not commenting, but I'm reading and I'll try to get better.]

Happy Summer! 




4 comments:

Susanne said...

Way to go Julianna! That is awesome. Happy Birthday to Jacob, the big 13! I smiled at his choice of food. I can honestly say I have never met a 13 year old who wanted antipasta for his birthday.

Saying a prayer for you and your hubby for wisdom and grace.

I'm on feedly. Love some things, dislike other things. Been thinking of checking out bloglovin just for the fun of it.

Murdock's mama said...

Yay...so happy for a catch up post!! The kids sound fantastic. I'm with you...I hope the rest of the summer crawls by! {even though it was 56* on my way to work and the high today is like 70*! What the heck?!}

Praying for you guys. For peace and wisdom in whatever it may be.

Also...have you tried BlogLovin? It took me a bit to get used to it, but I really like it now.

So good to hear from you again...missed you Stac!

Kat said...

You have a lot of big moments going on there, don't you? Congratulations to Julianna on learning to ride her bike. That is AWESOME! A big moment. And happy birthday to Jacob. Thirteen. Wow.

I am using BlogLovin right now and it is working pretty well. I do miss my google reader though. ;)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Sorry my friend, you know I would have been praying if I had been a less self-absorbed friend. I sincerely do hope that things are really looking up now. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...